The Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Ottawa conducts clinical research in a variety of areas of focus within the discipline of plastic surgery. The patients of the hospitals in which our Division provides services and drive our research. Patient care experiences shape and inspire opportunities for advancing medical care.
The Division’s unique culture of collaboration and teamwork, and its position as a leader in the medical education field provides the foundation for its researchers to explore and solve complex research questions. This makes continued improvements to patient care and surgical outcomes possible.
The Division of Plastic Surgery clinical research is overseen and directed by Dr. Kirsty Boyd. Each faculty member is engaged in research that is specific to their clinical interests:
Murray Allen, MD FRCSC – quality improvement, head and neck reconstruction
Ronnie Borsuk, MD FRCSC – hand surgery, skin cancer surgery, body contouring, breast surgery and cosmetic surgery
Kirsty Usher Boyd, MD FRCSC – peripheral nerve reconstruction, breast reconstruction, hand surgery
Claudia Malic MD, MRCS (Eng), MD, FRCS (Plast) – burn surgery, outcomes in paediatric plastic surgery
Danny Peters, MD, MBA FRCSC – craniosynostosis, skull reconstruction, cranioplasty, surgical efficiency, quality improvement
Gloria Rockwell, MD, MSc, FRCSC – clinical outcomes, breast reconstruction, quality improvement, surgical safety
Yvonne Ying, MSE MED FRCSC – medical education
Jing Zhang, MD, PhD, FRCSC – breast reconstruction
1. Peters DA, Boyd KU. Oral Examinations in Plastic Surgery: Mastopexy Augmentation, Basal Cell Cancer. Can J Plast Surg. 2013 Jun; 21(2).
2. Peters DA, McKay DR. You want me to write a business plan? Capital Budgeting fundamentals for the Plastic Surgeon. Can J Plast Surg. 2013 Jun; 21(2).
3. Peters DA, Boyd KU. Oral Examinations in Plastic Surgery: Exposed Tissue Expander, Groin Flap. Can J Plast Surg. 2013 Apr; 21(1).
4. Peters DA, McKay DR. To Corp or not to Corp: Strategic Tax considerations for investing. Can J Plast Surg. 2013 Apr; 21(1).
5. Peters DA, McKay DR. Compensating a Plastic Surgeon: What is the best way to reward quality while optimizing efficiency? Can J Plast Surg. 2012 Dec; 20(4).
6. Peters DA, Boyd KU. Oral Examinations in Plastic Surgery: Delayed Breast Reconstruction, Escharotomies. Can J Plast Surg 20(4) Dec. 2012.
7. Peters DA. Oral Examinations in Plastic Surgery: Basal Cell Carcinoma, Botox for aesthetic rejuvination. Can J Plast Surg. 2012 Sept; 20(3).
8. Peters DA, McKay DR. Starting up or Winding Down: How to Value a Practice. Can J Plast Surg. 2012 Sept; 20(3).
9. Sinno H, Malhotra M, Lutfy J, Jardin J, Wincoor S, Brimo F, Beckman L, Watters K, Philip A, Williams B, Prakash S. Complement C3 and C5 in a Collagen Formula Show Synergistic Effects Causing Increased Early Wound Strength in Experimental Rats. Plastic Surgery International. 2013; Article ID 243853, DOI:10.1155/2013/243853
10. Lutfy J, Noland M, Jarmuske M, How to Spot Cocaine Pseudovasculitis Annals of Plastics Surgery. 70(3):375–78
11. Lutfy J, Zuker RM, Ying Y Non-Ossified Iliac Crest Graft for the Reconstruction of the Pediatric Thumb Interphalageal Joint Hand. 8(2):221-226 DOI: 10.1007/s11552-012-9468-3
12. Grynspan D, Ying Y, Nizalik E, Cowan K, de Nanassy J, Chou S. A Forme-Fruste Variant of Congenital Midline Cervical Cleft with Hamartomatous Adnexal Elements Managed Without Z-plasty. Pediatric and Developmental Pathology. 2012 May–Jun; 15(3):245–8.
13. Bonaparte JP, Corsten MJ, Odell M, Gupta M, Allen M, Tse D. Management of the radial forearm free flap donor site using a topically applied tissue expansion device. Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology and oral radiology. 2013 Mar.
14. Corsten M, Kassam A, Allen M. Reconstruction following endonasal endoscopic resection of a recurrent clival chordoma with a modified antero-lateral thigh free flap: a case report. Neurosurgical Review, accepted 2013 Mar.
1. Boyd KU. Mackinnon SE. Sensory Nerve Transfers in the Hand. In The Art of Microsurgical Hand Reconstruction. 2013. Thieme. 43–58
2. Boyd KU. Mackinnon SE. Reconstructive Nerve Options for Restoration of Pronation. In The Art of Microsurgical Hand Reconstruction. 2013. Thieme 151–156.
3. Weber RV. Boyd KU. Mackinnon SE. Repair and grafting of peripheral nerves. In Plastic Surgery Third Edition. 2013. Elsevier Saunders. Volume 1: 464–478
4. Boyd KU, Fox IK, Mackinnon SE. Nerve transfers. In Plastic Surgery Third Edition. 2013. Elsevier Saunders. Volume 6: 719–744.